Apple, Beet, & Carrot Salad
*Originally posted in “Better Homes & Garden”, but modified by Debra DeMaria
Makes: 12 one-half cup servings
Start to Finish: 45 mins
- Zest and juice of 1/2 orange
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Celtic Sea Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pound beets, peeled and cut in matchsticks
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut in matchsticks
- 1 red apple of your choice, cored, peeled and cut in matchsticks
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley or cilantro, stems removed
1. In a large bowl, combine the orange zest and juice, lime zest and juice, and vinegar. Slowly whisk in the olive oil, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. In the same bowl, layer beets, carrots, apple, and turnip. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Toss salad right before serving, then top with parsley leaves.
3. To cut matchsticks Use a mandolin or a food processor that has either a julienne blade or large shredding blade.
From the Test Kitchen
- Make Ahead Tip Prepare, cover, and refrigerated dressing up to 3 days. Cut vegetables, then cover and store each vegetable separately, up to 24 hours.
Nutrition Facts (Apple, Beet, & Carrot Salad)